Claims Technician - Updated
Company: Government jobs
Location: Oregon City
Posted on: January 26, 2023
The City of Portland, Bureau of Revenue and Financial Services is
seeking a qualified Claims Technician to join their team.
About the Position:
The Claims Technician typically performs paraprofessional claims
management work by assisting the Claim Analysts in their duties and
by interacting with claimants and responsible parties to evaluate
Workers' Compensation and Liability claims by or against the City.
The current vacancy is in the Risk Management Division of the
Office of Management and Finance and reports to both the Workers'
Compensation and Liability Claim Managers. Other positions may
As a Claims Technician, you will:
- initiate collection processes, within defined limits.
- Conduct interviews; investigate claims; obtain information from
pertinent City bureaus, employees, citizens, and other sources to
assist with claim investigation.
- Maintain contact and provides customer service to claimants,
medical providers, and bureau representatives
- Evaluate claims for compensability, closure or collection.
- Prepare exhibits for various adjudication forums.
- investigate third party liability claims; medical WC
- issue notices as appropriate
- Requests restitution or files claim of subrogation as
- Prepare and process a variety of financial transactions
including, requesting payments, receipting checks and crediting
funds, coding payments, setting up payment schedules.
- Prepare and maintains digital files, records and reports, and
provides technical and administrative support to Claims Adjusters,
team leaders and other professionals, as required by
- Operates a variety of equipment such as personal computer.
Although not required, you may have:
- Oregon Workers' Compensation certification.
- Experience with public entity claims investigations and
- Experience with Insurance or Risk Management professional
designations (ARM, AIC, CCLA) is a plus.
- Familiarity with Marsh Clear Sight/Riskonnect RMIS would be
This position is eligible for Language Pay Differential for
As a person, you are:
- Collaborative: An authentic professional who has interpersonal
skills, values partnerships, and develops and supports
relationships to get things done.
- Curious: A curious professional who is always seeking to learn
new things and grow as a person and as a professional.
- Results Driven: A person who can work effectively and
efficiently in a high-paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong Communicator: A person who builds trust and strong
relationships through frequent, transparent, and clear
- Someone who Values Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI):
Someone who embraces anti-racist approaches through intentional
partnership, self-awareness, and action, showing cultural humility,
advocacy, and mindfulness. Someone who understands the importance
of using DEI concepts to guide and inform your work.
- Equitable: A person who maintains and advocates for an
inclusive, respectful, and culturally responsive workplace for
- Emotionally Intelligent: A person who is motivated, passionate,
team-oriented, and empathetic, and promotes the same
characteristics in their Team.
This classification is represented by the District Council of Trade
Unions (DCTU). To view this labor agreement, please go to
and click on the appropriate link. Applicants start at the entry
salary rate. If you are a DCTU represented employee, see labor
agreement for additional information or talk to your union
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism - Communication - Collaboration - Equity - Transparency
- Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage
our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000.
We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an
opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are
committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and
opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to
actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer
a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to
medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term
disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If
you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware,
please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public
Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the
City of Portland's benefits please click here.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of October 18, 2021, all City employees must be fully vaccinated
for COVID-19. This is required for all positions at the City of
Portland. Proof of being fully vaccinated is required by date of
hire. You mayrequest an exception, for health or religious reasons,
from getting the COVID-19 vaccine at the time a position is
Many positions within the City are designated as hybrid and
currently the City requires you to work in-person one day per week.
Beginning in April 2023, most hybrid employees will be expected to
perform at least half of their work in-person..
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position
and must be specifically addressed in your cover letter and
- Knowledge, experience, and proficiency with legal and medical
terminology; claim processing; file maintenance activities, and
preparing, recording, and verifying claim financial and accounting
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with others,
effective problem-solving and customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively (orally and in writing) with
people from a variety of cultures and with diverse perspectives and
appropriately respond to questions or concerns from employees and
the public with diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality as appropriate.
- Ability to use Microsoft office suite.Applicants must also
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate or
have an approved exception by date of hire.
- Oregon Workers' Compensation certification or ability to become
certified within one year from date of hire.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as
demonstrated in your cover letter and resume weighted 100%. Do not
attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the
minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked
eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination
results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please
read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete
information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to
establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
**PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment
may be used to fill future vacancies**
- Job Posting Closes: 1/17/2023
- Applications Reviewed: 1/10/23- 1/20/23
- Eligible List Created: week of 1/23/23
- Selection Phase Begins: Tentatively the week of 1/30/23
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change
Applicants must submit a cover letter and professional resume
online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this
position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this
announcement in accordance with the following Application
- Your rsum and cover letter will be the basis for our evaluation
of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or
inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your
education, training and/or experience, and where it was obtained
which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered
items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in the cover
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified
below, please describe in your cover letter any transferrable
skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to
each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify"
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be
submitted no later than 11:59 pm, on the closing date of this
recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's
online application process. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will
not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in
the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference,
attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration
letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking
the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request
Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for
each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference
documentation must be submitted no later than the closing date and
time of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a
person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a
religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable
accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the
Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of
Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on
race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national
origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran
status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income.
The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested
in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one
or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to
receive a "language pay differential." This is compensation for
qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language
skills to assist the community. More about the language pay
differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that
are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow
the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates:
Karen Ehn, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
A Career with the City of Portland offers many Employee
This summary outlines the benefit programs, actual benefits may
vary depending on bargaining unit and employment status.
The City of Portland offers a comprehensive benefit package that is
competitive with other private and public sector employers.
More detailed information can be obtained by calling the Benefits &
Wellness Office at 503-823-6031.
Health Care (Medical, Vision and Dental)
- A choice of two medical/vision plans and two dental plans.
- Coverage is available to benefits-eligible employees, their
spouse/domestic partner and eligible dependent children up to age
- For full time employees, the City pays 95% of the cost of
coverage, you pay 5%.
- The part-time employees' cost is pro-rated based on the number
of hours in the employee's regular work schedule.
- We offer many on-site fitness center locations and classes,
- discounts to local fitness clubs,
- smoking cessation benefits,
- chronic care coaching programs,
- worksite wellness screenings and flu shots.
- Basic life insurance at no cost to full time employees.
- Levels of coverage are based on bargaining units, employment
status and/or annual salaries.
- Supplemental life insurance - employees may purchase up to
$500,000 for themselves
- up to $300,000 for their spouse or domestic partner.
- up to $25,000 for dependent children.
- This coverage is portable upon retirement or separation. There
are some limitations on coverage level.
Long Term Disability
- Depending on your bargaining unit, you may be eligible for
Basic Long Term disability coverage which will pay up to 40% of
your basic monthly earnings up to $3,333 per month.
- The benefit is available 60 days from the onset of the approved
disability, or exhaustion of sick leave, whichever is later.
- Preexisting condition limitations do apply.
- Employees may also purchase an additional 20% (of your basic
monthly earnings up to $1,667 per month) coverage.Short-Term
- Depending on your bargaining unit, you may be eligible for
Basic Short-Term disability coverage which will pay up to 40% of
pre-disability earnings for eligible employees
- The benefit is available after a 14-day waiting period, and can
continue for 90 days.
- Pre-existing condition limitations do apply.
- Employees may also purchase an additional 20% benefit (of your
basic monthly earnings up to $1,667 per month) coverage.
Employee Assistance Plan
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) provides confidential counseling
services for employees and eligible dependents.
- Effective July 1, 2013, the plan provides up to five free
visits per year.
Flexible Spending Accounts
- Medical Expense Reimbursement Plan (MERP) allows you to make
pre-tax contributions to your account to pay for eligible
medical/dental/vision expenses which are not paid by your health
insurance (deductibles, co-pays, etc.)
- Dependent Care Account Program (DCAP) allows you to pay for
your eligible dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. The
maximum allowable you may contribute to this plan is $5,000.
- Membership in the Public Employees Retirement System
(PERS)/Oregon Public Service Retirement Plan (OPSRP)
- The City currently pays the employee's share of the retirement
- Employees who are OPSRP members are vested after five years of
contributions or when they reach age 65 (age 60 for police and
- Option to contribute a portion of your earnings on a pre-tax
basis to the City's Deferred Compensation Program.
- 112 hours of vacation each year initially. This accrual will
increase over time.
- Sick leave typically accrues up to a maximum rate of 40 hours
per calendar year
- 10 paid holidays each year
- Three personal days accrue each yearFamily Medical Leave
In accordance with federal and state law, and the City policy for
family medical leave, the City grants family and medical leave to
eligible employees for certain family and medical related
- City's TRIP Reduction Incentive Program (for transportation
01 Thank you for your interest in the City of Portland. We value
your time and hope to make your application experience as positive
as possible. Your Cover Letter and Resume are an important step to
assist us in the review for minimum qualifications for the posted
In your Cover Letter, write specific and unique responses to
address each of the minimum qualification listed in the "To
Qualify" section. The information you provide must correctly
reflect your work history/resume. A lack of information in your
application materials to each of the minimum qualifications may
result in elimination from the recruitment.
Note: Request for veterans' preference, please add a copy of your
DD214 and/or Veteran's Benefit letter. All documents must be
uploaded by the closing date and time of this announcement.
Have you read and understood all the information listed above?
- No - If you have any questions, please contact the recruiter on
02 Where did you first learn about this job opportunity? (If on a
website or job board, please specify which one)
03 The City of Portland receives public records requests at times.
Please indicate which response you find appropriate: (Answer will
not disqualify you from the process)
- My application was submitted with the understanding that the
City of Portland would keep the information confidential and would
only disclose the information if ordered to do so. I would not have
submitted this application without the promise of
- You may release my application; I am waiving
04 I have read the City of Portland's COVID-19 vaccine requirement.
- I plan to comply with the COVID-19 vaccine requirement by being
fully vaccinated by my hire date and submitting proof of
vaccination, or by asking for a religious/medical exception.
- I do not plan to be vaccinated or ask for a religious/medical
exception for the COVID-19 vaccine requirement.
* Required Question
Keywords: Government jobs, Portland , Claims Technician - Updated, Accounting, Auditing , Oregon City, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!