Patient Account Specialist - Single Business Office (Per Diem)
Posted on: October 13, 2019
PeaceHealth is seeking a Patient Account Specialist - Single
Business Office (Per Diem) for a per diem, Day shift position.
Req ID: 175022
Responsible for working in a call center with patients and/or
authorized designees to address payment options, provide insurance
setup options and complete related paperwork for both Hospital and
Clinic services. Establish and monitor payment arrangements with
patients using guidelines established under the collection policy;
resolve patient concerns and third party issues to achieve a zero
balance account. This position ensures acceptable cash flow and
appropriate Days in Accounts Receivable via timely follow-up and
resolution of balances owed.
- Identify uninsured or underinsured patients for eligibility for
financial assistance through this organization or through
government or private programs.
- Perform work in accordance with regulatory requirements,
policies/procedures and departmental standards in regards to HIPAA
and other government requirements. Ensure that proper billing
procedures and privacy guidelines are implemented and carried
- Responsible for maintaining daily account, follow-up work lists
within department while maintaining organization's productivity
- Assist patients with the application process for outreach
programs and our obligations to maintain certifications as required
by the state(s) and/or contractual obligations.
- Respond to customer inquiries in accordance with state and
federal laws or applicable internal policies. This response may
include charge estimates, clarifying billing practices, correctness
of billing and options for resolving private pay balances.
- Communicate appropriately with all customers to include,
updating insurance, and routing accounts to appropriate service
areas when needed. Handle a high volume of inbound and outbound
calls. May leverage an auto dialer system.
- Work directly with responsible party to resolve outstanding
patient account activities. Maximize reimbursement through
effective collection practices. May receive and post patient
payments over the phone, or electronically. Process refund requests
- Review accounts for activities and completeness of available
data as specified and/or outlined by the established financial
procedures and processes prior to being assigned to
- Obtain information to secure appropriate payment of account by
working with insurance companies, government agencies, other
departments, providers' offices, attorneys' offices, patients and
any other parties as necessary.
- Communicate all necessary requirements needed to support third
party and government billing, including worker's compensation.
- Perform data entry, maintain customer databases and document
all calls. Assists customers with various patient account-related
questions by telephone and through written correspondence.
Completes adjustments, account notes, balance transfers, claim
disposition and other necessary transaction to facilitate
appropriate computer system activity.
- Completes all necessary research, account assignment, etc. for
accounts assigned to collection agency; or necessary court
documents for patient bankruptcies and probate.
- May perform skip tracing on patients with return mail; May
perform insurance verification. May be responsible to monitor and
negotiate settlements with third parties
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- College coursework in accounting, business, medical
terminology, communication and social work preferred.
- Minimum of one year experience in collections, customer
service, billing or related medical field preferred.
- Familiarity with government, commercial and third-party billing
- Proficient use of computers including MS Office
- Proficiency with 10-key calculators alphanumeric data entry
skills are required
- Working knowledge of standard office equipment
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work both independently and interdependently with
staff and team members with limited supervision
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Excellent customer service skills are required
SYSTEM - PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
- Work requires fairly light physical exertion from up to 65% of
- Ability to lift objects weighing 30 lbs. or less.
- Work is performed under normal working conditions with adequate
lighting and ventilation.
- Job duties frequently require intense concentration and
attention to detail (up to 65% of work time).
Please apply online to be considered. For full consideration of
your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Wash., is a not-for-profit
Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington,
Oregon, and Alaska. PeaceHealth has approximately 16,000
caregivers, a multi-specialty medical group practice with more than
900 providers and 10 medical centers serving both urban and rural
communities throughout the Northwest. In 1890, the Sisters of St.
Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. Today,
PeaceHealth is the legacy of its founding Sisters and continues
with a spirit of respect, stewardship, collaboration and social
justice in fulfilling its Mission.
We offer competitive compensation, a robust benefits package and a
collaborative, Mission-driven work environment! To learn more about
working at PeaceHealth and the Vancouver community please visit our
Get a feeling for the Spirit of PeaceHealth through this
three-minute video, and visit us on Facebook or LinkedIn!
Questions? Review our Employment FAQ or email
Recruitment@peacehealth.org. Please note this email does not accept
resumes or applications.
Location: Vancouver, Shared Services Center (802)
Job Category: Business, Administrative & Facilities
Shift Length: Variable
Work Type: Per Diem/Relief
Hourly compensation starts at: $16.92, more depending on
PeaceHealth is committed to providing equal employment
opportunities to all qualified job applicants and employees without
regard to the following statuses: protected veteran; qualified
individual with a disability; race; ethnicity; religion; gender;
pregnancy; gender identity; national origin; age; genetic
information; sexual orientation; or any other protected status in
accordance with local, state, or federal laws.
The above information is intended to indicate the general nature
and level of work performed by this position. It is not designed to
contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all
duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of caregivers
assigned to this job.
Posting Notes: Vancouver -- Business, Administrative & Facilities
-- Accounting & Finance -- Per Diem/Relief -- PATIENT
Keywords: PeaceHealth, Portland , Patient Account Specialist - Single Business Office (Per Diem), Administration, Clerical , Vancouver, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!