Senior Full Stack Engineer
Company: New Relic
Posted on: September 15, 2018
Senior Full Stack Engineer
New Relic is looking for a creative senior level Full Stack Engineer to join our growing team. If you love scale, thrive on increasing automation, building reliable tools and repeatable processes, and advancing a culture of reliability, this teams for you. Were in search of someone who loves systems and wants to work with code and people to solve tough problems.
This team contributes to the success of our product engineering teams, which are cross-functional teams consisting of Software and SREs. These teams own everything about their services from concept to operations and support. SREs focus on creating an environment consisting of a high amount of automation to support building, deployment, and management efforts for the teams production services, datastores, and infrastructure at the scale New Relics world-class suite of software analytics products demand.
Responsibilities of the team include:
- Enhancing an ecosystem that enables product teams to build their products/features quickly and without friction
- Partnering with product engineering teams to design and deliver tools that support our product reliability
- Identifying and advocating for opportunities to use our own products and minimize the use of 3rd party tools and services
Examples of what youll work on:
- Reviewing designs with an eye toward increasing the holistic stability of our platform and identifying potential risks
- Running game days to test assumptions about reliability and learn what will break before it matters to customers
- Improving our monitoring and alerting systems to make sure engineers get paged when it matters (and dont get paged when it doesnt)
- Operationalizing horizontally scalable data stores and configuring systems for high reliability
- Improving our deployment and testing automation pipelines to ensure we can continue to move quickly and with confidence
- Writing runbooks and improving documentation
- Troubleshooting OS and network issues
- Mentoring other engineers in reliability-related skills
What skills will be helpful?
- Experience working in a SaaS environment at scale
- Troubleshooting in a complex environment
- Fluency coding in either Go, Python, Ruby, or Java
- Experience administering Linux systems
- Foundation in systems knowledge including some of the following:
- Jenkins or other continuous integration/deployment tools
- Configuration management through Ansible/Chef/Puppet
- Service Oriented Architecture or microservices
- AWS or other large network provisioning and architecture
- Docker/Kubernetes/Mesos or other containerization solutions
- Kafka or other messaging queues
- Cassandra, MySQL, Postgres, or Elastic Search
- Load balancing, storage, and clustering technologies
- System-level monitoring and alerting tools such as Nagios
What will set you apart?
- Expertise in problem solving and analyzing global scale distributed systems
- Troubleshooting skills that range from diagnosing hardware and software issues to large-scale failures
- You take pride in providing reliable, easy-to-use services, and delight in building great tools that are a joy to use
- Youre a strong communicator, expect the best of yourself and others, and would rather band together for a common cause than fly solo
- You are enthusiastic and open-minded about your work. You care deeply about supporting your teammates
Not sure if this is you?
We're particularly interested in having a diverse team, with a broad set of skills and viewpoints. If this seems like your dream job, but you're not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We'll carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply for this specific position. We'll either move forward with you, find other teams that are good fits, keep in touch for later opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Interested? Send along
- Cover Letter telling us why youre interested in joining the Site Reliability Engineering team
- Resume or CV
- Anything else youd like to share: Github, Twitter, blog, or portfolio
Please note, this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
At New Relic, we hire people who are eager to contribute to our culture, and we empower them to do just that. We take pride in thinking beyond our day-to-day job descriptions and encourage you to actively seek out opportunities to create the type of work environment that you want to be a part of. What does this look like in action? You should be ready to be a culture add to New Relic and spend -5% of your time finding meaningful ways to make this an even better place to work.
A little about us:
New Relic provides the real-time insights that software-driven businesses need to innovate faster. New Relics cloud platform makes every aspect of modern software and infrastructure observable, so companies can find and fix problems faster, build high-performing DevOps teams, and speed up transformation projects. Learn why more than 50% of the Fortune 100 trust New Relic at newrelic.com.
New Relic is a San Francisco Best Places to Work award winner, an Oregon Top Workplace award winner, named a leader in the Gartners 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Magic Quadrant for APM companies, a Top 100 OnDemand Company, Best of SaaS (THINKStrategies), Top 100 Coolest Cloud Computing (CRN); 10 Cloud Management Companies to Watch (NetworkWorld) the list of accolades goes on. More important than all of that: we provide challenging work, opportunities to learn, high-quality teammates, a standard-setting product, and a company on the move.
Our office is in the tech mecca of Portland, with easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)all while maintaining the energy, agility, and fun of a start-up.
New Relic is most decidedly an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse background and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
Note: To apply for this job, submit your application by clicking on the Apply Now button on this page
Keywords: New Relic, Portland , Senior Full Stack Engineer, Engineering , Portland, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!