Manager, AI Engineering
Posted on: November 24, 2020
Manager, AI Engineering
Portland OR, or Seattle, WA
RESPONSIBILITIES & REQUIREMENTS
The Manager of AI Engineering leads a team of data science
engineers and software engineers in building artificial
intelligence solutions that will propel the future growth of
This leader works with product groups to develop customer specific
and enterprise solutions by enhancing current Cambia capabilities
and leveraging third party data resources available to Cambia via
strategic relationships with external companies. This position will
require both hands on development as well as providing technical
guidance to a team of data science engineers and software
General Functions and Outcomes:
* Cultivate a data driven culture across the company.
* Build data requirements for data science and data engineering
teams to facilitate growth of analytics and artificial intelligence
* Drive artificial intelligence projects that stretch across
multiple divisions and required input from many stake holders.
* Deliver insights and strategic recommendations to leadership
* Manage and develop a team of data scientist engineers and
* Propose solutions to solve strategic, tactical, structured, and
unstructured business problems.
* Evaluates/develops, tools, methodologies or infrastructure to
resolve long-term business problems
Utilizes modeling software, data and system requirements, scoring
process, and predictive model output integration into business
systems. * Provide thought leadership internally on the practical
application of data science engineering and software
* Collaborate with client and internal consulting teams to set
analytic objectives, approach, and work plans
* Translate analytical and artificial intelligence model results to
business insights for the client.
* Participates with senior management to establish strategic goals,
plans, and objectives.
* Establishes strong working relationships with internal and
external customers, identifying their long-term needs
* Provides creative solutions and direction towards the completion
of project proposals, sales presentations and promotional
materials. Consults with other business unit leaders, coordinating
the joint efforts of various Cambia business units towards the
successful completion of new product development efforts and
integrated customer solutions.
* Directs multiple departments and guides management and/or expert
employees who exercise significant independence and autonomy in
decision making. Responsibility is larger in scope and requires
* Responsible for directing and setting objectives and working
toward executing against those objectives through subordinate
* Demonstrated experience with leading the development of building
production quality solutions around data science and natural
language processing models, including building pipelines to
pre-process the data to feed models, exposing the results through
* Demonstrated proficiency with distributed computing tools (Spark,
* Demonstrated experience operating in a Unix/Linux environment
* Experience in AWS, Azure, Google Cloud or other cloud ecosystems
and demonstrated proficiency with cloud-based data science and
engineering technology stack
* Demonstrated ability to create complex SQL queries, analyze large
amounts of data, interpret qualitative data (research, feedback)
and incorporate into analyses.
* Solid data structures & algorithms background.
* Mastery of one of Python, Java or equivalent language.
* Strong ability to evaluate and adopt new technologies in a short
* Solid experience in full data science engineering development
* Strong experience in leading the development of full
micro-services stack, including authentication, authorization,
monitoring, logging, etc.
* Strong experience in leading the development of cloud native
applications, using technology with Docker, Spring Cloud,
Prometheus, Fluentd, etc.
* Experience in applying streaming technology such as Kafka, AWS
* Experience in building and applying continuous integration and
continuous deployment to ensure high quality product, including
Sonar Qube, Jekins, code coverage and lint tools, etc.
* Experience in building applications that support consuming both
offline and real-time data science model predictions.
* Strong competencies in platform/backend service technologies,
data structures, software design, and profiling.
* Strong proficiency writing production-quality code, preferably
industry engineering experience with machine learning projects
(e.g. AI Bot, Topic Modeling, Knowledge Graph).
* Experience in Information Retrieval technologies: Elasticsearch,
Solr, or Lucene.
* Exceptional verbal and visual communication skills to communicate
complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable
manner to a wide variety of audiences.
* Demonstrated strong client-orientation when working with and for
* Demonstrated ability to effectively manage team members including
all facets of human capital management.
* Demonstrated comfort in interacting with senior management.
* Ability to collaborate in a rapidly evolving environment.
* Demonstrated curiosity to tackle hard business problems using
data and analytics to develop meaningful, practical solutions.
* Demonstrated track record of on-time and on-budget
* Demonstrated leadership experience, including managing a
The Manager of Artificial Intelligence Engineering would have a
Master's degree in computer science, software engineering or
related discipline with an advanced degree preferred and at least
six years of relevant work experience in data science, software
engineering and relevant experience working with data scientists
and natural language processing scientists on developing artificial
intelligence and data science solutions.
At Cambia, we advocate for transforming the health care system. You
aren t satisfied with the status quo and neither are we. We're
looking for individuals who are as passionate as we are about
transforming the way people experience health care. We offer a
competitive salary and a generous benefits package. We are an equal
opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug
and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status
protected by law. A drug screen and background check is
Cambia s portfolio of companies spans health care information
technology and software development; retail health care; health
insurance plans that carry the Blue Cross and Blue Shield brands;
pharmacy benefit management; life, disability, dental, vision and
other lines of protection; alternative solutions to health care
access; and free-standing health and wellness solutions.
We have nearly a century of experience in developing and providing
health solutions to serve our members. We had our beginnings in the
logging communities of the Pacific Northwest as innovators in
helping workers afford health care. That pioneering spirit has kept
us at the forefront as we build new avenues to improve access to
and quality of health care for the future.
Keywords: Cambia, Portland , Manager, AI Engineering, Executive , Portland, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!