Company: Alma Technologies
Posted on: November 26, 2022
The Opportunity Alma is a K-12 Student Information System that
empowers educators to work more effectively through time savings,
data insights, and community connection between home and school.
Our products balance user needs, educational best practices, and
state/government compliance requirements. We are looking for a
Product Manager who is energized by a mission-driven environment,
isn't afraid to get into the weeds, and can make complex concepts
feel simple. Ideal candidates are proactive problem solvers and
clear communicators. This position can be from our headquarters in
Portland, Oregon, or remote. You'll be working as part of a
distributed team that operates across the Pacific, Mountain, and
Central time zones. Responsibilities As a product manager with
Alma, you will be involved in every aspect of the product
development process. You will design experiences across our
application to impact educators, administrators, students, and
their families. At Alma, you can expect to:
- Connect with current users, prospects, and other stakeholders
to learn about their needs and goals and conduct market
- Identify problems we can solve for our customers aligned with
the business goals, and work with product managers and engineers to
define, plan, and implement solutions.
- Manage the whole product life cycle and facilitate
inter-departmental communication to execute the company
- Dig into compliance documentation to understand regulatory
requirements in addition to user needs.
- Write requirements documentation and sketch or wireframe key
- Work closely with designers and engineers during the design and
build processes to gauge feasibility and scope.
- Monitor how features are used in production and iterate on
features as needed to achieve goals.
- Regularly present your work internally and externally for
alignment and feedback.
- Continuously improve research, documentation, handoff,
feedback, and iteration processes for efficiency, scalability, and
sustainability as the company grows.
- Be a thought partner with the other product managers on the
team. Qualities / Experiences We Are Looking For
- You've previously designed, shipped, and iterated on entire
features, ideally in a B2B/Enterprise software business.
- You can get up to speed quickly in new problem spaces and
- You have conducted qualitative research, such as user
interviews and usability tests.
- You can convey your thoughts verbally, visually, and in
- You can create wireframes and process flows in tools like
Whimsical, Miro, Balsamiq, or Figma.
- You have elegantly solved complex workflows and shipped
features that use data visualization to drive insight and
- You are self-motivated, and can empower others; you can
prioritize multiple milestones and deliverables effectively.
- You are a flexible thinker and can help generate multiple
disparate solutions to a given problem at the early stages of a
- You demonstrate curiosity, resourcefulness, and empathy. Bonus
- Previous experience in a K-12 school, district, or state
- Familiarity with typical educational data exchange standards
such as Ed-Fi, OneRoster, and LTI
- Previous experience at a start-up or in EdTech
- Previous experience working on Enterprise products How We Work:
When working as a Product Manager at Alma, you will:
- Work with a distributed team across Pacific, Mountain, and
Central time zones.
- Collaborate with designers, engineers, reporting analysts, and
others via documents, Slack, Whimsical, Figma, Jira tickets, and
frequent video calls.
- Join daily standups, weekly team and 1:1 meetings, monthly
company all-hands, and as-needed project-specific meetings.
- Interview users/stakeholders via videoconference weekly (except
maybe when they're on summer vacation) Who We Are: Alma is a
cloud-based student information system (SIS) that serves K-12
administrators, teachers, parents, and students. Our Product team
is small and mission-driven. We serve schools and districts across
the US and internationally and aim to improve education by
empowering the most significant learning resource students have at
school: educators. As individuals, we take ownership of our roles
and responsibilities. As a team, our solutions have both an
educational & societal impact, and we take that very seriously. We
are agile, fast-paced, evolving, and determined to make a
difference. The students, parents, and educators Alma serves come
from every walk of life: they attend public, private, and charter
schools in cities, suburbs, and rural areas. Our users include
English language learners, people with disabilities, gender
minorities, families experiencing housing instability, and students
who will be the first in their families to go to college. It is
fundamental to Alma's mission that we continue to build a team with
diverse lived experiences and perspectives to anticipate better and
serve all students' needs. To that end, we hire for culture add
over culture fit and strive to create an environment where all team
members' voices are heard and welcomed. In addition, we are
committed to maintaining a workplace where people can be themselves
each day. All Alma team members receive health benefits, a
retirement account, significant paid time off and paid holidays,
and a competitive base salary. A Note to Applicants: Studies have
shown that people from historically underestimated groups are less
likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of
the qualifications described in a job description. We know from
experience and past hires that the best person for this role will
likely not check every box listed here. We encourage you to apply,
even if you don't believe you meet all the qualifications
described. Alma Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We
evaluate qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion,
sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other
protected characteristics. To Apply: Please send a cover email and
resume to . In your cover email, please point us to some piece of
media (article, book, video, tweet, podcast, etc.) that has shaped
how you think about your work as a product manager or educator and
how it's changed your approach to the job. Reference checks will be
part of your application process but do not need to be provided
Keywords: Alma Technologies, Portland , Product Manager, Executive , Portland, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!