Nurse Practitioner - Palliative Care
Company: Legacy Health
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Nurse Practitioner - Palliative Care
US-OR-PortlandJob ID: 22-28027Type: Regular Full-TimeEmanuel
Medical Ctr campusOverview OVERVIEW Every day, patients look to the
skilled professionals at Legacy to make their lives better. They
seek care that is as compassionate as it is innovative. Our
patients want to be involved in their healthcare decisions; they
want to feel respected. If you strive to deliver this level of
care, every day, you may be a perfect fit in our healthcare
community. The Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner works in
collaboration with physicians, social workers, and chaplains to
provide support for people with serious illnesses. Nurse
practitioners provide physical examinations, diagnosis, treatment
of both chronic and acute disorders, advanced care planning, and
care conferences with patients and families. The Nurse Practitioner
seeks the expert opinion or advice of other members of the
Palliative Care team whenever he or she decides a case falls
outside the scope authorized by policies and protocol or expertise.
The Nurse Practitioner typically remains involved in the patient's
care until the patient no longer requires the services of the
Palliative Care team and can return to the care of the primary or
specialty care provider. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assesses the status and needs of patients referred for
Palliative Care services by reviewing medical records, obtaining
medical histories, performing physical examinations as indicated,
and ordering additional tests as needed.
- Formulates a medical plan and prognosis based on patient's
- Consults with other treating provider(s) regarding patient's
health care plans and treatment.
- May order diagnostic tests to identify and assess the patient's
clinical problems and health care needs.
- Initiates or makes recommendations to the primary or specialty
care provider for medical drug therapies or other forms of related
therapeutic treatment and procedures in accordance with approved
protocols/policy. If a prescriber then taking full responsibility
for such therapy.
- Complies with medical records policies regarding the complete
and accurate documentation of patient care. Initiates and maintains
required records and legal documents.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Counsels patients, families and significant others about health
and illness, and promotes health maintenance.
- Establishes and documents the health care plan and prognosis,
maintaining records of each case and evaluates the effectiveness of
- Determines when the patient has stabilized and no longer
requires the support of the Palliative Care team. QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: As required by license.
- Experience: Clinical experience requirements are dependent upon
the specific position, and include a minimum of 2 years of
experience in a related field.
- Skills/Knowledge: Basic familiarity with computers preferred.
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS :
- Current applicable state (WA and OR) RN license required.
- National Certification as a Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Current applicable state (WA and OR) license as a Nurse
Practitioner with Prescriptive Privileges (NP-PP) required.
- Current certification dependent upon the specific position to
include Basic Life Support (BLS).
- Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse (CHPN) from the National
Board for Certification of Hospice & Palliative Nurses (NBCHPN)
preferred. LEGACY'S VALUES IN ACTION:
- Follows guidelines set forth in Legacy's Values in Action.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disabled. Sorry, no J1 or H-1B visa
opportunities. For additional information please formally apply or
contact Forrest Brown at
Keywords: Legacy Health, Portland , Nurse Practitioner - Palliative Care, Healthcare , Portland, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!