Regional Core Lab Supervisor II
Posted on: November 26, 2022
This position is responsible for planning, organizing and
supervising all aspects of a specific location laboratory or
laboratory department, in support of the clinical staff in caring
for our patients by providing high value laboratory services that
maximize the effectiveness of KPs overall program. According to
Federal CLIA regulations section , under the direction of the
laboratory director and supervision of the technical specialist
and/or Ph.D. director: Provide day-to-day supervision of the lab
staff and of test results; Be responsible for the proper
performance of all laboratory procedures and reporting of test
- Plan and direct operations in Laboratory department or
location(s) to ensure accurate, high quality, appropriate, cost
effective and timely service oriented test results to providers and
patients. Under CLIA section 493.1463, be responsible for
day-to-day supervision and oversight of the laboratory operation
and personnel: Assure that tests are performed properly and results
are verified before release; formulate, maintain and review
departmental procedures; coordinate the distribution and
participation of proficiency testing, review results, take
appropriate corrective action; maintain and monitor quality control
programs; initiate and coordinate department and quality assurance
plans. coordinate the preparation for all accreditation
inspections, facilitate the inspection process, formulate
corrective action as necessary; coordinate departmental equipment
maintenance. Provide on-site supervision when high complexity
testing is performed by individuals as specified in the CLIA
regulations section 493.1489(b)(5). Assure that all remedial
actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the
laboratorys established performance specifications as directed by
the Director or Technical Specialist to ensure that patient test
results are not reported until all corrective actions have been
taken and the test system is properly functioning. Monitor and
assess pre-analytical and post-analytical systems and correct
- Select, develop and retain competent professional satisfied
staff: Recruit, interview, select, orient, provide training, coach,
evaluate performance, recognize achievements; initiate, implement
and document all department continuing education events; counsel,
discipline and terminate in accordance with state and Federal law;
EEO guidelines and organizational policies. Effectively schedule
staff to meet service needs. Provide development opportunities to
staff by delegating responsibilities, assigning projects, providing
educational opportunities. Assist in development of MLT or other
student training programs. Coordinate and monitor on-site training
and evaluation of MLT or other students.
- Interact with department staff, with other Healthcare
professionals and with other departments inside and outside the
organization: Represent department and address issues through
committee or taskforce meetings; act as liaison between management
and staff, assist the staff in team building and participate in
team building with own peer group; obtain information or services
from vendors, consult with medical personnel regarding patient
testing; work with other departments to resolve problems;
collaborate with director(s), if appropriate and applicable, to
resolve and respond to all concerns/complaints.
- Develop and administer the department budget: Analyze factors
contributing to financial operations; collaborate with director(s)
when applicable, to identify department needs; formulate
operational budget; present justification for non-standard
requests, maintain and monitor all financial reports; interpret
variances; intiate adjustments, approve all purchases consistent
with approved operating budgets and signature authority. research
modern cost effective options, motivate employees to seek practical
approaches to their work; collaborate with purchasing agents to
arrange bids, contracts and discounts; inventory supplies and
record usage and costs to prepare semi-annual report for test cost
analysis. Coordinate interregional referral work done in department
as applicable to generate revenue.
- Develop and implement department/location short and long term
plans: Collaborate with Director(s)/Manager to determine department
needs; develop or assist with plans for procurement of new
equipment/space, coordinate the implementation of such; research
current trends and cost effective options; initiate capital
equipment requests; participate in capital equipment and process
meetings if applicable; propose renovation projects; participate in
lab expansion or remodel project planning and manage
implementation; establish and coordinate the plans for
- Provide a safe work environment for employees and patients: Act
to protect safety of staff and patients by providing safety
inservices or information to staff by monitoring the department
environment for safety hazards and by ensuring the department is in
compliance with regulations for Hazard Communications, Infection
Control, Radiation Safety and other organizational and department
- Serve as a technical resource for department. As indicated in
CLIA regulations 493.1463(a)(1), be accessible to laboratory
personnel at all times high complexity testing is performed to
provide on-site, telephone or electronic consultation to resolve
technical problems in accordance with policies and procedures
established by either the laboratory Director or Technical
Specialist. Advise other healthcare professionals in the Kaiser
Northwest Region as to the policies and procedures related to the
department. MAINTAIN proficiency by attending continuing education
and inservice activities.
- Perform bench duties of laboratory staff under your supervision
as necessary (Refer to union contract).
- Minimum four (4) years as a Medical Technologist or
Microbiologist or Virologist or Immunologist or Clinical Chemist or
Cytogeneticist or Cytologist or Histotechnologist under a qualified
- Bachelors degree in medical technology, cytology or related
License, Certification, Registration
- Medical Lab Scientist Certificate from American Society for
Clinical Pathologists OR Medical Lab Technician ASCP Certification
OR Medical Technologist Certificate from American Society for
- Drivers License (in location where applicable)
- Completion of approved program in Medical Technology,
Histotechnology, Cytology or equivalent knowledge.
- Affiliation: NCA or ASCP or equivalent within 90 days of
- Demonstrated customer-focused service skills.
- Demonstrated verbal and written command of the English
- Demonstrated willingness or desire to further develop
interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills.
- Minimum two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Previous experience with KP or HMO
- Working knowledge of State, Federal or other regulatory
- Basic budgeting knowledge.
- Principles of supervision and management.
- Knowledge of automated lab systems and computers.
- Basic computer skills.
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Demonstrated flexibility.
- Excellent conflict resolution and problem solving skills.
- Rotational on-call eves, weekends and holidays.
Job Category: Laboratory
Keywords: Kaiser, Portland , Regional Core Lab Supervisor II, Healthcare , Newberg, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!