Nurse Educator (Westside Hospital) Medical Surgical
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Sign-On Bonus eligible position!
The Nursing Professional Development Consultant is a registered
nurse with expertise in nursing education who influences
professional role competence and professional growth of nurses in a
variety of settings. The NPD Consultant supports lifelong learners
in an environment that facilitates continuous learning for nurses
and other healthcare personnel. The NPD Consultant fosters an
appropriate climate for learning and facilitates the adult learning
process. The NPD Consultant supports nursing leadership in the
provision of quality patient care by ensuring the clinical
competence of nursing staff.
- Professional Development: Follows an organized process to plan,
develop, implement, and evaluate professional development programs
for staff members that meet the organizations strategies and goals.
Conducts educational needs assessments; documents and reports
findings. Develops and delivers high quality, cost effective
educational programs with content that is evidence based, follows
standards of care and standards of practice, and is in alignment
with Kaiser Permanente policies and procedures. Develops materials,
education processes, and programs that are based on adult learning
principles and take into account the novice-to-expert framework for
skill development and knowledge acquisition. Demonstrates the
ability to implement instructional design skills (methodology
selected is appropriate for topic, etc) and assists others in
instructional design. Evaluates professional development programs
by monitoring goal/objective attainment, stakeholder satisfaction
and cost effectiveness. Uses evaluation results to help assess and
plan for future programs and services.
- Program Management: Partners with nursing leadership to develop
an evidence-based orientation, training, and competency assessment
program for new hired, transferring, and incumbent employees.
Refers to regulatory standards, scope and standards of practice,
job description, Kaiser Permanente policies and procedures, and
professional organization recommendations to select content for
competency assessment. Selects appropriate validation methods to
evaluate competence. Works in partnership with nursing leadership
to develop and implement annual competency assessment program.
Analyzes data to determine deficits in the competence of
individuals or groups. Identifies high risk, problem prone, changed
or new equipment/processes that need to be addressed. Nursing
management is responsible for determining staff competence; the NPD
Consultant provides feedback on competency evaluation to the
individual and nursing leader.
- Leader/Change Agent: Understands healthcare issues and
systematically analyzes change initiatives. Differentiates between
performance/systems issues versus development needs. Understands
leadership vision and communicates it clearly with others.
Demonstrates leadership on a professional level, maintaining
appropriate competencies and involvement in activities at
community, state, and national levels. Maintains knowledge of
change management theories, principles, and processes. Maintains a
knowledge base of the Joint Commission, OSHA and other regulatory
- Consultant: Serves as a resource to individuals and groups to
identify issue and possible internal and external resources.
Participates in review of research and/or evidence based practices.
Incorporates research and/or evidence based learning into
educational activities and practice.
- Mentor: Models professionalism and integrity. Mentors peers and
colleagues. Acts as a role model for ongoing professional
development. Maintains clinical expertise through self-evaluation,
peer review, and continuing education. Pursues certification in
Nursing Professional Development and clinical specialty
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Minimum two (2) years of education experience.
- Minimum three (3) years of clinical experience in specialty.
- Bachelors degree in nursing. License, Certification,
- Registered Nurse License (in the state where care is provided)
- Basic Life Support within 1 months of hire Additional
- Knowledge of current regulations and requirements (TJC, OSHA,
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member.
- Demonstrated skills in didactic presentation.
- Demonstrated time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability with conflict
resolution. Preferred Qualifications:
- Minimum three (3) years of leadership/management
- Minimum five (5) years of education experience.
- Minimum five (5) years of clinical experience in acute care
- Certification in specialty practice (Nursing Professional
Development and/or clinical specialty).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Masters in nursing with focus on clinical specialty.
Job Category: Nursing Licensed & Nurse Practitioners
Keywords: Kaiser, Portland , Nurse Educator (Westside Hospital) Medical Surgical, Healthcare , Camas, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...