Senior Full Stack Software Engineer (remote)
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Formative is looking for an experienced Senior Full Stack
Engineer to join our awesome team of developers. Are you interested
in an amazing opportunity that also makes a difference?
Are you right for our team?
Our web-app, Formative (formative.com), is used by 50K+ teachers
and 1M+ students every week, helping teachers see student responses
in real-time for immediate feedback and tracking growth to learning
GraphQL, Apollo Client, webpack, mongoDB, Kubernetes, etc).
students, thats all we require. The position is work-from-home, so
we are looking for responsible, self-starters who want to join an
amazing team of 10+ full-stack developers.
Our technical interview is just one hour of pair-programming, where
we use a similar open source stack and see what its like to work
We want you to be opinionated, factual, but willing to compromise.
You should be comfortable both giving and receiving feedback from
peers. We want to make each other better.
You will play a key role in carving out a future for our web
application and for the future of education. We currently have a
team of brilliant developers from whom you can learn from and grow
With your input, help and expertise we will build an application
that will ultimately collect more classroom data on student
learning than any in human history. We want to use that data to
help teachers, schools, parents, students and entire communities
have unprecedented academic growth.
- Develop visually appealing front end website architecture,
including translating designer mock-ups and wireframes into
- Develop functional databases, applications, and servers to
support websites on the back end
- Ensure cross-platform optimization for mobile devices
- Stay abreast of developments in web applications and
- Strategize organizational direction on emerging technology
platforms and communicate the effectiveness to stakeholders
- Stay current and provide insight on cutting edge software
approaches, architectures, and vendors
- Ensure that non-functional requirements such as security,
performance, maintainability, scalability, usability, and
reliability are being considered when architecting solutions
- Keep job knowledge up-to-date by studying new development
tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment;
participating in educational opportunities; reading professional
publications; maintaining personal and professional networks;
participating in professional organizations
- 3+ years of full-stack paid software development
- Associate's Degree or higher in Computer Science or related
field or equivalent work experience
- Experienced in front-end web development using React or a
similar framework (React preferred)
- Experience developing web application backends using
- Ability to work from your home office during normal EST, CST or
Bonus Points If:
- Youve built apps already using React, Typescript,GraphQL
- GraphQL makes you smile
- You have implemented E2E tests on a continuous integration
- You have implemented real-time reactivity in a project using
- Youve written complex aggregate queries on MongoDB and/or
- You like board games
What's the Formative story?
Our co-founder, Craig Jones, was a middle school science teacher at
a struggling public school in South Los Angeles. Thanks to a school
grant, he was able to work with a class set of used laptops every
day. Initially, Craig patched together some basic software, a
student response system and a lot of spreadsheets to help
understand his students strengths and weaknesses to learning
standards. The technique of daily formative assessment, more
targeted intervention, and faster feedback ultimately led to
record-breaking academic outcomes.
After four years in the classroom, Craig went to grad school at
UCLA where he met Kevin McFarland, his roommate, and soon-to-be
co-founder. Together, Kevin and Craig envisioned a world where
faster formative teaching practices could replace traditional
end-of-year summative assessments. After multiple research
initiatives, prototypes, and the help of countless individuals,
Formative (goformative.com) was launched in January 2015.
Today, teachers from over 10,000 school districts across the US and
the world have signed up for Formative, driving thousands of
learning institutions to upgrade to more powerful partner status.
When surveyed, 90% of teachers reported that they believe using
Formative improved student achievement, and 97% of students report
more confidence in their understanding of the material. We are on a
mission to bring this transformative learning approach to more
teachers and students and to contribute to a stronger education
system. Are you interested in making a big difference for teachers
and students? Join us!
- Work with a rapidly growing and amazing team passionate about
making a difference for teachers and education!
- Remote position within the US or with US compatible working
The following benefits apply to full-time employees based in the
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Generous 401k Company Match
- Company stock ownership
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid Holidays
We are not able to provide sponsorship (H-1B visa, etc.) for
employment at Formative.
Formative is committed to creating a diverse environment and is
proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran
Keywords: Formative, Portland , Senior Full Stack Software Engineer (remote), IT / Software / Systems , Portland, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!