CYTOLOGY Technical Supervisor
Posted on: November 26, 2022
This position is responsible for planning, organizing and
supervising all aspects of a specific location laboratory or
laboratory department. Under the direction of the Laboratory-CLIA
Director and Technical Director, formulate, implement and direct
programs, policies and procedures which assure quality and
standardization of departmental technical services. Act as
department and/or region-wide technical advisor for laboratory
personnel and Northwest Permanente Clinicians. Coordinate capital
equipment review and implementation in collaboration with business
operation and strategic sourcing. Perform administrative functions
including recruitment, hiring, training, performance management,
performance evaluation and termination. Provide day-to-day
supervision of the lab staff and of test results. Be responsible
for monitoring the proper performance of all laboratory procedures
and reporting of test results.
- Plan and direct daily operations and workflow in Laboratory
department or location(s) to ensure accurate, high quality,
appropriate, cost effective and timely service oriented test
results to providers and patients. Under CLIA 493.1463, be
responsible for day-to-day supervision and oversight of the
laboratory operation and personnel. Provide on-site supervision
when high complexity testing is performed by individuals as
specified in the CLIA regulations 493.1489(b)(5). Assure that tests
are performed properly and results are verified before release;
formulate, maintain and review departmental procedures; coordinate
the distribution and participation of proficiency testing; maintain
and monitor Quality Control Programs; initiate and coordinate
Department and Quality Assurance Plans, including training and
competency assessment. Coordinate the preparation for all
accreditation inspections, facilitate the inspection process,
formulate corrective action as necessary for inspection findings;
coordinate departmental equipment maintenance. Assure that all
remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the
laboratory's established performance specifications as directed by
the Director to ensure that patient test results are not reported
until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is
properly functioning. Monitor and assess pre-analytical and
post-analytical systems and correct identified problems.
- Recruit, interview, select, orient, develop and oversee
training program, coordinate and monitor mentoring program; coach,
evaluate performance, recognize achievements; initiate, implement
and document all department continuing education events; counsel,
discipline and terminate in accordance with state and Federal law;
EEO guidelines and organizational policies. Effectively schedule
staff to meet service needs. Provide development opportunities to
staff by delegating responsibilities, assigning projects, providing
educational opportunities. Coordinate and monitor on-site training
for all students and staff as appropriate.
- Appraise existing methodologies and instrument systems, modify
as needed to enhance quality of performance. Analyze clinical and
laboratory/departmental needs, direct the selection and evaluation
of new methods and instruments. Manage the implementation of new
programs, instruments and tests. Analyze, advise, direct and
coordinate technical problem identification and resolution
activities, both internal and external to the laboratory.
- Observing the principles of partnership management, collaborate
with the Department Director (s) to formulate, plan and direct
region-wide technical goals, policies and programs. Ensure all
standards are met as outlined by accrediting and regulating
agencies including CAP, TJC , OSHA / WSHA and CMS.
- Interact with departments inside and outside the organization
and other Healthcare professionals. Collaborate with Director(s),
to resolve and respond to all concerns and complaints. Participate
in UBT meetings and projects; represent management in UBT meetings
- Formulate and administer the annual labor and non-labor
operating budget for assigned cost centers; monitor and acocunt for
variances. Prepare and document administrative and financial
reports, coordinate inventory/purchasing/vendor policies for
supplies: specify products used; forecast inventory based on
workload, stability and product consumption; interact with vendors
in collaboration with strategic sourcing.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of safety laws,
regulations and standards; identify risks and hazards associated
with departmental testing; communicate and enforce all state,
federal and organizational rules. Evaluate continuing education
needs, plan, coordinate, conduct and promote in service or other
continuing education programs. Train and instruct staff as
necessary to insure proper test performance and maximal quality of
- Perform other duties as requested.
Basic Qualifications: Experience
- Minimum four (4) years as a Medical Technologist(MT/MLS) or
Microbiologist or Cytogeneticist or Cytologist or equivalent under
a qualified director.
- Minimum four (4) years recent experience in applicable
laboratory technical department
- Minimum two (2) years supervisory/leadership experience or
equivalent combination of experience in quality control review,
purchasing, problem solving and personnel management. Education
- Bachelor's degree in medical technology or related science.
License, Certification, Registration
- ASCP certification required at time of hire/transfer.
- Valid Oregon or Washington driver's license within 90 days of
- Completion of approved structured program or equivalent
- Thorough knowledge of routine departmental theory, equipment
- Working knowledge of principles of quality control and quality
- Demonstrates customer-focused service skills.
- Demonstrated verbal and written command of the English
- Proven oral and written communication skills.
- Proven problem solving skills.
- Adaptability and flexibility.
- Ability to understand and operate multiple types of
- Minimum six (6) years of laboratory technical departmental
experience under a qualified director.
- Minimum four (4) years supervisory experience
- Advance study and knowledge of principles of departmental
theory and practice.
- Thorough knowledge of principles of quality control and quality
- Demonstrates customer-focused services skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent organizational prioritization skills.
- Operational familiarity with wide range departmental analyzers
and equipment.Note:Rotational on-call swing and weekends.
Job Schedule: Job Category: Laboratory
Keywords: Kaiser, Portland , CYTOLOGY Technical Supervisor, IT / Software / Systems , Mulino, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!