Cytogenetic Technologist, Temporary Position
Posted on: November 26, 2022
This position is responsible for performing all cytogenetic
procedures required to achieve accurate, high quality chromosome
results within a given time frame which aid physicians in the
diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- Perform all aspects of cytogenetic and molecular cytogenetic
process according to work instructions to determine chromosome
diagnosis. Process specimens for chromosome preparation and perform
microscopic analysis. Report results in a timely fashion.
- Review completed chromosome studies for accuracy and
completion. Provide advice as to cytogenetic diagnosis and
interpretation. Correlate test results with available clinical
- Recognize and resolve operational and procedural problems.
Formulate plan of action for situations not addressed in work
instructions. Respond to inquiries regarding work unit or
departmental policies and procedures; refer problems to supervisor
or director as needed.
- Perform established equipment and cytogenetic quality control
functions to assure accuracy of results. Execute and document
corrective actions. Perform instrument maintenance and calibration.
Troubleshoot malfunctioning equipment. Participate in laboratory
and NW regional quality assurance programs. Perform proficiency
testing and report results.
- Initiate and maintain accurate laboratory and patient records.
Enter and review final report data on the computerized laboratory
- Maintain technical competency by remaining current in
cytogenetic procedures and technological advances.
- Participate in on-going or special projects; Write and Revise
work instructions; Utilize computerized department karyotyping
system; Train new employees; Develop written training procedures
and prepare abstracts, posters and illustrations for display or
- One (1) year of experience in most phases of cytogenetic lab
work or completion of an approved structured program in
- Bachelor's degree in biological or clinical laboratory science
from an accredited institution or associate degree in chemical,
physical or biological science or medical laboratory or equivalent
education and training (refer to 42CFR493.1489(b) for details on
required courses and training); OR individuals performing high
complexity testing on or before April 24, 1995 with a high school
diploma or equivalent with documented training may continue to
perform testing only on those tests for which training was
documented prior to September 1, 1997 (refer to CLIA regulation
42CFR493.1489(b) for details on required training.License,
- N/A -Additional Requirements:
- Demonstrated verbal and written command of the English
- Basic knowledge of computer applications.
- Problem solving skills.
- Organizational and prioritizing skills.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise subjective
- Effective written and oral communication. -Preferred
- Two (2) or more years of experience in all phases of
cytogenetic lab work.
- Experience in molecular cytogenetic techniques (FISH)
- CG (ASCP) certification.
- Genetic course work.
- Basic knowledge of molecular techniques.
- Ability to utilize computerized karyotyping system. -Note:
- Mon - Fri, weekend and holiday rotation.Job Schedule: Job
Keywords: Kaiser, Portland , Cytogenetic Technologist, Temporary Position, Other , Sherwood, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!