Tech, Emergency Department 12 Hour I
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Under the direction and supervision of the physician or nurse
assists in examination and treatment of patients. Duties and tasks
of the ED Tech will vary depending upon the needs of the patients
within the department. The ED Tech will provide patient care for
all ages, acuities and conditions in the population the facility
serves, including ensuring age-specific care and responding to
cultural needs of patients and families. The ED Tech must establish
priorities based on essential patient needs and available unit
resources of time, personnel, equipment, and supplies. Duties
include documentation of patient care and unit activities in a
timely, accurate, and concise manner.
- The ED Tech duties and tasks may include the following and must
maintain necessary competencies:
- Applies nasal cannula, simple mask, and non-rebreather
- Applies orthopedic devices, pre-formed splints, performs
splinting, cast removal and crutch fitting/teaching.
- Assist with log rolling, applies cervical collar as
- Assists in emergency situations, including resuscitation per
- Assists patients to/from bathroom, ambulation, and transports
using principal body mechanics to prevent injury.
- Assists physician with pelvic exam.
- Assists with discharge process, reinforcing discharge teaching
provided by the nurse or physician.
- Assists with procedures, including positioning, draping and
prepping, maintaining sterile field.
- Cardiac monitor surveillance, recognizing, recording and
reporting potentially dangerous rhythm changes and arrhythmias in
accordance with established standards and procedures.
- Cleaning of ED stretchers, equipment and rooms; preparing care
areas for patient arrival.
- Demonstrate effective use of supplies and equipment; reporting
- Distribution of linens and supplies in patient care areas,
specialty carts, and anterooms, reporting off to on coming shift of
- Documentation of intake and output in the medical record.
Inventories patient belonging and document accordingly in the
- Look up Lab results on computer as directed by physician or
- Maintain a safe environment for all patients, including those
with altered mental status, confusion, or in a psychiatric
emergency, providing and documenting direct observation as directed
by the nurse.
- Obtains, records and reports vital signs, heights, weights and
inputs/outputs of patients and reports any unusual findings to the
primary RN or physician.
- Perform Bladder Scanning and document accordingly in the health
- Perform wound preparation for physician assessment and
application of simple dressings as directed by the physician.
- Performing ECGs, including transmission and documentation in
the electronic health record.
- Performs point of care testing (POCT) & Performs POCT quality
- Provides chaperoning as needed for sensitive exams.
- Provides comfort measures such as blankets, pillows and
- Provides post-mortem care.
- Rooms patients, undresses patients and applies monitoring
- Serve patient meals and feed patients when assistance is
- To be able to demonstrate proper body mechanics when
transporting patients to the floor, or another department.
- Also use of proper lift techniques in certain
- Maintains proficiency in the care of special populations such
as, but not limited to, victims of abuse, hazmat patients.
- Complies with Patient Safety Standards and actively
participates in Workplace Safety Initiatives.
- Maintains a safe work environment.
- Acts as a preceptor/resource for new employees.
- Participates in ED staff meetings, in-services, and performance
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses, pursues training and
development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge
and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits
objectivity and openness to others views; gives and welcomes
feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts
success of team above own interests; builds morale and group
commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyones efforts to
- Takes direction willingly and assumes responsibility for
completion of tasks.
- Demonstrates leadership by actively supporting staff
development as a resource to new ED Techs and through participation
committees or improvement projects.
- Accountable for maintaining current knowledge of organizational
and facility policies and procedures. Follows policies and
procedures; supports organizations goals and values; supports
- Minimum one (1) year patient care experience in an acute care
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED)
License, Certification, Registration
- Basic Life Support
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of basic anatomy and physiology, application of
dressing and splints, basic patient care procedures.
- Effective communication skills, verbal, written and
- Ability to prioritize work, manage time and optimize department
- One (1) year of recent emergency department technician
- Six (6) months related experience as an Emergency Medical
Technician, Certified Nursing Assistant II, or equivalent (e.g.
military experience), Medical Assistant with experience in Urgency
Care setting or completion of first semester of clinical course
work in a nursing program.
- Cardiac rhythm identification (telemetry).
- National Phlebotomy Certification.
- Thorough understanding of phlebotomy principles and techniques
and phlebotomy equipment.
- Thorough understanding of sample collection requirements.
- 2-week rotation
Job Category: Clinical Support
Keywords: Kaiser, Portland , Tech, Emergency Department 12 Hour I, Other , Estacada, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...