Safety Consultant- Electric Vehicles (Electronics Hardware Design)-Remote
Posted on: June 25, 2022
At UL, we know why we come to work.
Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common
purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable
place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and
passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in
knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society,
and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity,
collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront
of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to
find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying?
Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
kVA by UL is seeking a Functional Safety Consultant who will be
involved with the safety work product development for various
vehicle features, including complex software-intensive systems such
as systems for self-driving vehicles, industrial automation,
battery and energy storage in both vehicle and stationary
applications etc. The Consultant will lead the development, or
review of safety work products for clients seeking compliance to
standards in functional safety and related fields, including ISO
26262, IEC 61508, IEC/EN 62061, ISO 61511, ISO 21448, UL 4600, ISO
13849, ISO 21434, and other similar standards relevant to system,
hardware, and software engineering safety lifecycle.
This position can be located remotely anywhere within North
What you'll learn & achieve:
* Lead the development of safety work products for heavy duty
electric vehicle clients seeking compliance to standards in
functional safety and related fields, including ISO 26262, ISO
21448, UL 4600, and other similar standards relevant to systems and
* Apply skills to develop strong safety argumentation in support of
safety case development
* Create or contribute as necessary to hazard and risk analyses,
functional, technical, hardware, and software safety concept for
various vehicle systems and components
* Define safety requirements based on Customer system, hardware,
and software architectures
* Lead and perform safety analysis such as FMEA, FMEDA, FTA, STPA
on wide variety of domains including L2 to L4 applications
* Perform verification reviews or other technical review activities
* Lead training events, gap analysis, workshops in topics relevant
to vehicle safety
* Lead client programs by interacting regularly with clients in
technical program meetings and project reviews. Provide technical
assistance to clients in reference to functional safety and related
technical fields. Projects may include optional travel to client
sites and to other UL locations
What makes you a great fit:
* M.S. or B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, Automotive
Engineering, Computer Science, related technical degree, or
* 5+ years of experience in safety related role in automotive
* Hands-on experience in vehicle systems electronics hardware
* Safety Analysis knowledge including FMEA, FMEDA, STPA
* Experience working with ISO 26262 and ISO 21448 standards
Preferred skills include:
* Knowledge of Battery Management Systems, Inverter design for
Electric vehicle application hardware
* Experience on ISO 26262 standard is highly preferred
UL has COVID-19 protocols and policies in place to ensure the
safety of our employees, customers and clients. Effective November
1, 2021, the company mandates that employees are vaccinated against
COVID-19 as a condition of employment (except where prohibited by
law), subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law
What you'll experience working at UL:
* Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn't new.
Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has
been our business model for the last 125 years and is deeply
engrained in everything we do.
* People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working
here, and you'll almost always hear, "the people." Going beyond
what is possible is the standard at UL. We're able to deliver the
best because we employ the best.
* Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we
eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers create.
We're inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how
people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles,
you will get international experience working with colleagues
around the world.
* Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted
development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very
own UL University that offers extensive training programs for
employees at all stages, including a technical training track for
* Total Rewards: All employees at UL are eligible for bonus
compensation. UL offers a generous 401k matching structure of up to
5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into
your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous
employment. We provide Healthcare Reimbursement Accounts and Health
Savings Accounts that UL contributes to twice per year! Depending
on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working
arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off
including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.
Working at UL is an exciting journey that twists and turns daily.
We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our every
day. This is our normal.
Curious? To learn more about us and the work we do, visit
Keywords: UL, Portland , Safety Consultant- Electric Vehicles (Electronics Hardware Design)-Remote, Professions , Portland, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!