Company: Port of Portland
Posted on: September 14, 2019
Salary Depends on QualificationsLocation PDX - 7000 NE Airport Way,
ORJob TypeFull-Time RepresentedDivisionPort OperationsJob
Number01093Closing9/13/2019 5:00 PM PacificGeneral Information
The Port of Portland Communication Center consists of 14
dispatchers responsible for providing emergency and non-emergency
dispatch, call-taking, and other services to the Portland Airport
Fire & Rescue, Port of Portland Police, Airport tenants, and the
traveling public at Portland International Airport.-- The
Communications Center consists of 14 dispatchers responsible for
call-taking and dispatching emergency and non-emergency calls for
Steps for Filling a Vacancy: Application Material/Qualification
Review--> Oral Board Interview--> Background
Investigation--> Manager's Interview--> Psychological Exam
--> Medical Exam --> Pre-employment Drug Test -->
Employment Confirmation SALARY INFORMATION:
Salary is determined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and
years of--continuous--service as an emergency telecommunicator.--
NOTE: Lateral-entry pay is determined by the continuous number of
previous full-time, complete years of service, up to five (5)
DPSST Basic Certification
1 year: $28.33
2 years: $29.89
3 years: $31.26
4 years: $32.89
5 years: $34.45
DPSST Intermediate Certification
1 year: $29.18
2 years: $30.79
3 years: $32.20
4 years: $33.88
5 years: $35.48
DPSST Advanced Certification
1 year: $30.03
2 years: $31.68
3 years: $33.14
4 years: $34.86
5 years: $36.51
Summary of Essential Responsibilities
- Receive information and dispatch police, fire, medical and
operations--personnel responding to emergency and
- Monitor--and operate numerous radio talk groups and answer
phones, providing information to airport employees and
- Monitor and operate--computer systems, including:
computer-aided dispatch (CAD), fire alarms, access/security/duress
alarms, and law enforcement data and retrieval systems.
- Monitor security surveillance cameras for perimeter gates,
terminal doors, security checkpoints, numerous areas of the airport
terminal, garage, and roadways, and take appropriate action as
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Experience working in a 911 emergency communications center
or--airport communications center is highly preferred.--
- Experience with computer aided dispatch (CAD) system is
- The successful candidate must be able to meet requirements
of--the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training
(DPSST) within the--probationary period including--acquiring and
maintaining the following certifications:
- Law Enforcement Data System (LEDS) Certification
- Emergency Medical Dispatch and Telecommunicator
- Must possess and maintain a valid First Aid and CPR card
- Successful applicant must pass a post-offer comprehensive
background check, pre-employment drug test, psychological
evaluation, and medical examination.
- Ability to obtain and maintain eligibility for unescorted
access to secure areas of the airport is required.
- Ability to comply with Criminal Justice Information System
(CJIS) requirements within 30 days of hire is mandatory.-- This
includes--successfully completing CJIS Security Awareness Training
and successfully passing a fingerprint-based criminal history
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Minimum typing speed of 35 words per minute.
- Ability to multi-task, listen and paraphrase effectively.
- Sound problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Ability to work overtime, holidays, weekends, and flexible
shifts--outside of--usual schedule. The Port of Portland offers a
competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision,
employer paid life and AD&D insurance, short-term and long-term
disability, and participates in the Oregon PERS retirement program.
The Port also offers employee paid voluntary benefits such as
flexible spending accounts, voluntary life insurance, a deferred
compensation program and for some employees access to critical
illness and accident insurance policies. In addition to our
comprehensive benefit program, we have generous vacation and sick
leave plans and--we are known for our great culture, flexibility
and our commitment to wellness. Please note: some benefits vary by
job type/group, so please be sure to review your comprehensive
benefit guide upon hire to confirm what is available to you.
Keywords: Port of Portland, Portland , Communications Dispatcher, Professions , Portland, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!